On August 5th, 2016, Councilmember Costa Constantinides’ office released the Parks Department’s plans for the new dog run in Astoria’s Triborough Playground C. These plans were approved by the Astoria Dog Owners Association earlier this summer during a private meeting with the park’s stakeholders.
Amenities will include:
- Drinking water for dogs and people;
- A double gated entry;
- Separate small and large dog runs;
- Sprinklers in the shape of fire hydrants for dogs to play in on hot days;
- A storage locker for maintenance supplies;
- Climbing rocks;
- Improved grading to ensure water can adequately drain from the site;
- Hose hookup(s) for cleaning purposes;
- Clear site lines for dog parents to monitor their pups.
The funds allocated by our public officials will also go to renovating one of the basketball courts, as well as improving the sidewalks around the park. Water access will also be installed to the park, as the site currently is not hooked up to a city water source.
A tentative timeline for the project is as follows:
- Bids Process: January 2017
- Breaking Ground: Spring/Summer 2017
- Park completion: 2018
Astoria Dog Owners Association will be planning a meeting in the near future to discuss plans moving forward; please look for the announcement on our Facebook page, as well as here on our blog.
On a more personal note:
The members of Astoria Dog Owners Association are incredibly excited to see two years of hard work paying off, and are extraordinarily grateful for the hard work, dedication, and support of our public officials. We are also unspeakably grateful to all the Astorians who have helped making the dreams of an official dog run a reality, the local businesses who have provided generous support to our participatory budgeting campaign, and of course everyone who went out and voted for ballot item 13 during the 2014-2015 participatory budgeting cycle.
We are honored to be a part of this amazing community!!!